Wildtracks: Conservation, Research and Education

Wildtracks blog

Returning to Wildtracks - Molly looks at the changes since her last Wildtracks experience


How time moves is completely relative to what is going on in your life at the moment. I can tell you that time felt very slow when I went back to the United States for about six months after spending almost nine months at Wildtracks last year. When I left Wildtracks, in September, a lot of big changes had happened at the Rehabilitation Centre - completion of the Central Enclosure for the Spider Monkey Complex, moving two new sets of howler monkeys out to pre-release enclosures and the eldest nursery monkeys getting ready to move outside to their new enclosure. Upon my lucky return to Wildtracks in March of this year I found out just how fast time moves at Wildtracks.

My first day back, I got to see how everything had changed in the past six months and it was amazing. So many fantastic things had happened while I was gone. One of the things I was most excited to see was the development of the “quarantine” area. Enclosures have been taken down and moved into the forest to give some monkeys, like Elliot and Athena, a more natural environment away from the hustle and bustle of the Manatee Building. When some of these enclosures were taken down there was room for a new sanctuary enclosure to be constructed for Nikki and Rafiki - the two permanent sanctuary primates at Wildtracks. It is great to see both Nikki and Rafiki in much larger, permanent enclosures where they will hopefully soon be fully integrated. Another big change has been the start of construction of the howler monkey complex. Thanks to many generous people donating to the wire campaign this year we are going to be able to finish the other enclosure sections and give two more sets of howler monkeys much larger spaces to grow and prepare for the Pre-Release stage of their rehabilitation.

Not only was it exciting so see all of the changes with the monkeys, the manatees also made some leaps and bounds while I was gone. First Rhameses, the oldest manatee currently at Wildtracks, has entered his Pre-Release stage. He is now officially spending his days in the lagoon, exploring and eating sea grass, and preparing for his future release! When I left in September both Mitch and Lucky were less than 50 pounds. When they were weighed this past week Mitch weighed 117 pounds and Lucky weighed 96 pounds. They are both now spending most of their day outside in the Recovery Pool and doing great!

Getting to see all of these wonderful things, and more, when I got back was so exciting. It is amazing to see how quick progress can be and how much positive change it can bring. I can’t wait to see what will come in the next seven months that I’m here!


Published by: Zoe Walker at 2015-04-26 17:04:28   [Link to this article]

Check out the latest articles in the blog!